Today is my birthday. I’m 35 years old now, and somehow that feels significant. I think maybe the years that end in zero or five always do. 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. They mark the transition from one decade to the next, and the midway point in each. Today, standing at the midway point of my 30s, I’m feeling introspective.
My birthday is like my own personal new year. It’s when my calendar changes from 34 to 35. I would like to get this year off to a good start, so I’m setting some personal intentions. I’m throwing some stuff out to the universe and myself and anyone who happens to be reading this. In the process I’m sending a message about what I want to see in the year ahead. After all, if I don’t know what I want, it’s going to be awfully hard to get it.
What I Will do at 35
- Write a book proposal.
- Grow watermelons.
- Create a Crafting my Life family-friendly retreat.
- Decide what the heck I’m going to do with the 10-year-old wedding dress sitting in a box under my house.
- Go snow tubing.
- Drink more tea.
- Roast marshmallows in my fireplace.
- Stay in a hotel with my husband and no children.
- Get rid of at least 100 things from my house.
- Teach Hannah to ride her bike, and get a bike of my own.
- Get Jacob started in preschool.
- Travel to San Diego all by myself for BlogHer.
- Sew myself a dress from a vintage pattern.
- Swim in the ocean.
- Learn how to use the lawnmower and the barbecue, because I am a Competent Adult.
- Not beat myself up if I don’t do everything on this list.
What do you want to do with your next year on earth? I love it if you’d play along in honour of my birthday! Or just pass along your birthday wishes – either way.