Right now, at this very moment, it’s 7:18am. I normally wouldn’t wake up for another 20 minutes or so, but my husband is away at the moment, and it’s garbage day. We’re not allowed to put our trash out the night before, due to bears, so I had to get up and haul it out to the curb this morning. As I was walking back towards the house, it occurred to me that for the second day in a row I had forgotten to get a post written and scheduled in advance for this blog.
Some days are like this. For me, days when my husband is out of town are pretty much always some days. I am a solo-parenting lightweight.
Still, it doesn’t do to spend too much time dwelling on first-world problems. The little annoyances of life will always be with us. I believe it’s better to focus on the things that are going well, the things that we feel grateful for, the things that bring us comfort. This doesn’t mean that I’m good at rising above and keeping my eyes on the big picture. It just means that I believe it would be better if I were. So, in the spirit of self-improvement, here are 10 things I’m grateful for right now:
1. My kids are still asleep, so I can sit and write in peace.
2. I have curbside garbage, recycling and compost collection, and it wasn’t raining when I took out the trash this morning.
3. I still really like my new computer chair, and sitting in it makes me smile.
4. My husband will be home tomorrow.
5. Both of my kids enjoyed their new swimming lessons yesterday.
6. I have leftover pancakes for breakfast.
7. My house is warm and dry.
8. Both of the kids are going to school today, so I can get caught up on my workload.
9. No one in my family currently has the nasty cold that’s going around.
10. I have a cupboard full of tea to keep me going.
What are you grateful for today?