I have been sharing my dream of writing a book with you all here. In case you haven’t been following along, here is a summary of my book idea:
- Talk to parents with diverse backgrounds and experiences from all across Canada.
- Collect their stories surrounding the time that they welcomed their first child.
- Talk about things like pregnancy, childbirth, hospitals, doctors, midwives, doulas, baby care, living with a newborn, breastfeeding, crying, maternity leave, grandparents …
- Compile the stories into some kind of order, and include some stories of my own, as well as some information about pregnancy, birth and babies in Canada.
- Create a book that feels like sitting around a kitchen table and sharing stories.
I want the book to have a Canadian focus, because there are so few books that do. My vision is that it would let other parents hear first-hand accounts of what this time is really like, from people who have walked the path before. It would also let us know that we’re not alone, that so many of us have wrestled with the same issues. And it would provide some illumination into what we’re doing well and what we’re doing not so well as we try to support parents through a big life change.
I feel pretty passionate about this idea. But I can’t do it alone. That’s where you come in. Would you be willing to share your story with me? If you welcomed your first child while you were living in Canada, I’d love to hear from you. I’m looking for adoptive parents as well as birth parents, and parents of multiples as well as parents of singletons. And I hope to hear from people from all different backgrounds. It doesn’t matter how old that first baby is now, as long as you can share your story accurately.
If you want to take part, and you’re willing to let me publish your story, visit my ‘Share Your Story‘ page and fill out the form. It will magically populate my spreadsheet, and I will be in touch with you to talk about your story further. Don’t be discouraged if it takes me a while – I expect this to be a long process.
I have to admit – I’m feeling pretty nervous posting this. It feels like a big step down the path of I’m actually doing this. There’s a big possibility that this won’t work out at all. But here’s what I know for sure – it definitely won’t work out if I retreat to my bed and eat ice cream all day, which I kind of feel like doing right now. So I’m going to ignore the fears and take a leap of faith. I think it might just pay off.
Edited: I understand there was a problem with the form earlier, but it should be working now, as of 8:45am Pacific / 11:45 Eastern.