I am Amber, hippie mama and suburbanite. I am a student teacher, dreamer, social media enthusiast and erstwhile engineer. I started this blog in 2003 as a way to chronicle our home renovations when my husband Jon and I bought our first house, and I just kept writing. Along the way I’ve had babies, changed careers more than twice and logged a lot of posts. Those babies grew into eleven-year-old Hannah and seven-year-old Jacob. They are more awesome than ice cream. We all live in the Vancouver area with our irrepressible cat Dorothy.
I am on a continuing journey to create a more meaningful and purpose-filled life for myself. I call the journey Crafting my Life. As I re-invent myself I’m simplifying and living a more sustainable lifestyle. I (sometimes) meditate. I make stuff and work in my garden. I dance with my kids in the kitchen. I drink a lot of tea. And I
frequently sometimes sneak chocolate when no one’s looking.
Writing is my passion. I love using written language to share information, spread ideas and convey emotion. As an engineer I did a lot of technical writing. I used lots of fancy-pants words like empirical and Gaussian. These days I write a lot about parenting and life. This blog showcases that best. But I’ve written some other cool things, too:
- I write a weekly post for Modern Mama Vancouver.
- For three and a half years I was the editor of VancouverMom.ca.
- I have an E-book, the Quick Guide to Canadian Maternity Leave.
- I blogged as the Climate Crusader on The Green Phone Booth.
- I write for The V3H, covering news and events in and around Port Moody, Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam, BC.